AOCS administers the US position at ISO through US TAGs to the following technical and sub committees:
- ISO/TC 34: Food Products and its Working Groups
- ISO/TC 34/SC 2: Oleaginous seeds and fruits and oilseed meals
- ISO/TC 34/SC 11: Animal and vegetable fats and oils
- ISO/TC 34/SC 16: Horizontal methods for molecular biomarker analysis
- ISO/TC 34/SC 17: Management systems for food safety
- ISO/TC 34/SC 18: Cocoa
AOCS is a liaison member of ISO Technical Committee 34 Sub Committees 2 and 11 [ISO/TC 34/SC 2 and 11].
AOCS provides the Secretariat for SC 16 and the Convenorship of the Joint Working Group between ISO/TC 34/SC 11 and ISO/TC 28/SC 7 (Input/Output Quality for Feedstocks and Fatty Acid Esters Used in Biodiesel).
Standards Harmonization Activities
AOCS is an active participant in several harmonization activities including;
- ASTM International Technical Committee D02 (Petroleum Products and Lubricants) and D12 (Soaps and Other Detergents)
- Codex Alimentarius, European Framework Projects
The Inter-Agency Meeting (IAM)
The aim of the Inter-Agency Meeting (IAM) is to promote co-operation between international organizations (INGOs and IGOs) working on methods of analysis and sampling and the associated quality assurance measures, and to support the needs of the Codex Alimentarius Commission. The Commisssion is an inter-governmental organization that considers and sets standards for food products in international trade. Standards may address compositional, additive or contaminant issues. In addition, the Commission elaborates methods of analysis and sampling to "enforce" such standards. The IAM provides a unique opportunity for those organizations working in the food analysis sector to discuss common problems and the opportunities to harmonize approaches for the ultimate benefit of the users of the products of organizations working in the area of analytical methods.
- Develops and/or recommends common rules for the validation of methods of analysis and sampling and associated quality assurance measures.
- Assists the Codex Alimentarius Commission in its need for methods of analysis and sampling and associated quality assurance measures
- Promotes coordination between the organizations concerned
- Addresses problems which require international collaboration
- Promotes uniformity of terminology relative to its field of activity