The Approved Chemist Program honors the most accomplished participants in the Laboratory Proficiency Program (LPP). Approval is earned by superior performance during the previous LPP year. In addition, Approved Chemists in oilseed meal can become referees for NOPA Soybean meal trading.
Approved Chemist Program applicants must:
- Be an AOCS member in good standing
- Have completed 4 quarters of LPP samples in the previous year's cycle
- Work in an independent, government, or industrial laboratory
The AOCS Examination Board determines approval using the following criteria:
- A combined score of less than 1.4, or less than 1.3 with one outlier in the Laboratory Proficiency Program
- Missing sample results will make chemists ineligible for approved chemists status.
Approved Chemists' Educational Requirements
- Minimum 5 years laboratory experience or
- BS plus 3 years laboratory experience or
- MS plus 1 years laboratory experience
Application fees and deadlines
- Forms and payment must be received by AOCS headquarters by June 15.
- New applicants must pay a one-time processing fee of $150.
- For a full explanation or application, contact AOCS Technical Services.